Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cauliflower Steak with Mushroom Gravy and Rice

I was feeling adventurous the other day and I tried my hand at making a gourmet steak dinner. Yes the 'steak' was cauliflower but it sure hit the spot! Out of all the dishes I have made in the last 3 months this one is my favorite.

This dish was very simple to make but I do need to get better at slicing the 'steaks'. I was only able to get 2 out of my head of cauliflower. The ends crumble anyway but I also had a couple 'steaks' that fell apart. The trick is to make sure you're slicing them thick enough, too thin and they fall apart. To use the bits that didn't turn into steak I chopped them up and cooked them in a similar fashion to the Cauliflower Steak and stirred in the leftover gravy and served it over rice. Basically the same meal just a different presentation.

To make my Cauliflower Steaks with Mushroom Gravy I, of course, started by slicing the cauliflower into steaks. I then drizzled them with a little olive oil and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. In a hot pan I seared them on each side making sure they looked golden and very crispy. After transferring them to a baking dish, they went into a 350 degree oven for 20-30 min.

While the steaks were in the oven I use the pan I seared them in to make the gravy. I started by sauteing some button mushrooms and then I added veggie broth, flour and the same seasoning I used on the cauliflower plus some parsley and cooked it till it was a beautiful thick gravy.

Served over rice it turned out to be a very satisfying meal. I'm a little embarrassed by the amount of joy I got from using a steak knife to slice into it. And then on top of that to taste the rich velvety gravy I felt that I was truly being decadent. But this dinner was only around 300 calories per steak.... with the gravy and rice!

The only thing that made me sad about this meal was that James couldn't enjoy it with me. :( He can't stand mushrooms or cauliflower. But on the bright side it did leave more for me to enjoy! And don't feel too bad for him I always make sure he has something tasty to dig into as well........Until next time......Happy eating!!




"It is what we think we know already that often prevents us from learning." - Claude Bernard

No comments:

Post a Comment