Friday, October 5, 2012

Texas Hash and Pesto Flat Bread

Work has been hard on James lately so last night I made his favorite meal, Texas Hash. As a side dish to the Texas Hash I tried something new...a Pesto Flat Bread.

After coming home from vacation I noticed, in the fridge, a huge bag of spinach that would need to be eaten soon. As I looked thru my pantry I started to brain storm ways I could use it and I noticed I had some raw almonds.

Typically pesto is made with fresh basil and pine nuts but I figured spinach and almonds would substitute for them nicely. After getting the dough started and putting it off to the side to rise, I started in on the pesto. Plenty of spinach and almonds with lots of garlic all blended in a food processor with olive oil, salt, pepper and lime juice. I baked the bread flattened out on a cookie sheet then topped it with the pesto and caramelized onions. Popped it back in the oven for a few minuets and it was ready to be devoured!  

Dinner was a big hit with James and it will be one I repeat in the future. The spinach and almonds worked perfectly and the sweetness of the onions on top was a perfect complement. As we were eating the bread I told James the one thing that would make it perfect would be to add mushrooms. He replied "Yes, cheese would be nice".  :)
 (He doesn't like mushrooms and I don't eat cheese) 



"Peace begins with a smile."- Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment