Sunday, August 5, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea Croquettes

Last night for dinner I tried my first recipe out of Alicia Silverstone's book "The Kind Diet". I've owned this book for over a year now, and I love it. I'm currently reading it again for the 2nd time. It's filled with great information and I'm reminded about all the reasons why I want to eat a plant-based diet. 

You're probably wondering why, if I love it so much, haven't I ever made anything out of it. Well, I have one big problem when I buy cookbooks. I buy them and I immediately sit down and read them, making a mental note of all the recipes I want to try. My problem comes when I go to the grocery store. I very rarely make a list for things other than the staples we use like salt, pepper, dog food, soy milk, TP ....ect. When I need vegetables to make my meals what goes on the list is.... "Veggies".  I'll buy whatever looks good or has a great sale price. Ending up with sort of a mishmash of things. When it comes time to make dinner I just throw things together...stir fries, scrambles, pastas, stews or soups. 

When I get the urge I might sit down and look at some recipes to make for dinner and I'll find I'm missing a key ingredient for just about everything I want to try. I found this especially true after switching to eating a plant-based diet because I'm still learning how and what to put together. 

This bring us to last week when I actually made out a meal plan for this week. I took some time and picked out a few recipes I wanted to try, went to the store and actually purchased the specific things I would need to make them. Amazing! *patting myself on back*

   Dinner was Black-Eyed Pea Croquettes with Dijon Glaze and a side salad. As I was making the croquettes I noticed that it was kinda smelling like falafel. Which makes sense because they are both made out of beans. After tasting the croquettes I found that I liked them a whole lot better than falafel and they had a very satisfying crunch. James on the other hand likes falafel better.


I did have a problem preparing them. I only have a small food processor so I had to blend them in 2 batches and then I mixed the two together in a bowl. I don't think I blended them long enough so some of them fell apart a little while cooking. I didn't mind though because the ones that fell apart were crispier. Yum! It definitely hit the spot last night.



 "Each person's task in life is to become an increasingly better person." - Leo Tolstoy . 

No comments:

Post a Comment