Saturday, August 11, 2012

Kitchen Mishaps

This week has been full of kitchen mishaps! I made one dish that was such an utter failure my dog wouldn't even eat it. There was the BBQ Tempeh that was not a success and then yesterday afternoon I started a pot of split pea soup and almost ruined it to the point where it would have been unsalvageable. Luckily I caught it in time.

Our dog Andy


Who knows why I've been wanting soup lately.  It started with the rain and my Miso Soup,  but now in 114-120 degree weather I shouldn't want it. I think the most likely reason is that I'm ready for it to be fall. And nothing says fall to me more than a hearty bowl of soup.

So yesterday I started to crave split pea soup. It wasn't on my menu for the week but with the two previous kitchen mishaps I didn't have as many leftovers I was planning. Leftovers are usually my lunch so I was needing something to fill the void.  I had everything I would need for the soup in my kitchen so I didn't think there would be any problem if I went ahead a made the soup.

I got to it, and started turning my bag of dried split peas into soup. Things were going fine and the soup needed to simmer for a couple of hours.  I went upstairs to my office and started to write yesterdays blog post. The whole time I was thinking my soup was happily simmering away on the stove. I even checked on it twice, granted it was after 15 min.  and then 30 min. after that, but everything looked fine. Then I got busy and didn't check on it again until it was time to add some seasoning and things. Here I had left the heat on too high and all the liquid had evaporated and the bottom was burning.

I quickly added some water and transferred it to another pot (and turned down the heat). I was able to save it but I'm still kicking myself. It was a silly mistake that I should have caught earlier.  I was especially kicking myself when I had to scrub the bottom of the burned pot. 

 I am laughing at myself now though! :)


Split pea soup. It was yummy and it hit the spot!

Well, I'm thinking next week will be better and I will make nothing but extraordinary food!! (note the hint of sarcasm in that sentence) 



"Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained." - John Powell

 

No comments:

Post a Comment