Monday, September 1, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014!







I have been very lazy this year.

 After the new year I had all these grand plans for everything I was going to accomplish including spending lots of time in the kitchen making yummy food. All the while taking photos and sharing them on this blog. Then, of course, things got busy. I did make plenty of food but I just never took the time to photograph my meals.

For the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about getting back into the groove of keeping up with my blog. I've missed blogging and I have found it's a great way to keep myself accountable, especially since I'm still working on losing weight. As I was thinking about all of this I was looking through some of my favorite blogs. I saw that Vegan MoFo was starting again, I always thought it looked like something fun to do, so I signed up. It will give me a great reason to really dive in and make some great food....and actually photograph it!

 
So for my first day of Vegan MoFo I made a Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup.

Ingredients

1/4 cup vegan butter
1 onion (diced)
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/2 cup flour
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 vegetable bullion cube
1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond)
3 cups cooked wild rice
1 1/2 cups brown rice (left over from last nights dinner)
2 celery stalks (diced)
1 package of button mushrooms (I quartered mine)
1 tsp garlic powder 
1-2 TBSP dried parsley
3-4 scallions (diced)
salt and pepper to taste


Directions
(Remember to cook the wild rice ahead of time according to package directions)

In a stock pot melt the vegan butter, add onion and saute until they are translucent.
Add garlic, cook for another min.
Add flour to make a rue, cook for about 2 min.
Whisk in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil turn heat to low. Whisk often.
When the broth has thickened add water, vegetable bullion and non-dairy milk. Bring the soup back up to a boil then turn heat down to medium.
Add both rices, celery, mushrooms and scallions. Cook 15 min.
Last add garlic powder, dried parsley and salt and pepper. 

Enjoy!    

Print Recipe





I slip from workaholic to bum real easy.  ~Matthew Broderick


 

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, and not too hard. As a bonus, the soup looks lovely against your dishes!

    ReplyDelete