Friday, September 19, 2014

Vegan MoFo #14 Mashed Potatoes, Lentils, Rice & Veggies

                              Easy Dishes Made From Refrigerator and Pantry Staples.

The Plan for this dish was to make a lentil shepherds pie.

I got in the kitchen and started to get organized by pulling out everything I would need. I opened the pantry only to find that I was out of lentils. I couldn't believe that I was out of lentils! I always have a plethora of them. It's something I see in the store and say 'Hey, I could use some of those' only to find out that I already had a dozen bags of them in the pantry. So, yes, for the past couple of months I had stopped buying them because it was kind of getting out of hand. 

But, had I used up all of my stash already? I started to search the pantry thoroughly, hoping I would find a long lost package of them.

I didn't find any of the lentils that I was looking for but I did find an almost used up package of a rice & lentil medley.

It wasn't quite what I was wanting but it would do. I decided not to make the pie and just pile everything in a bowl.

To make my mashed potato, lentil, rice & veggie bowl I started by getting the rice & lentil medley cooking. Then I peeled and chopped up a few potatoes and put them in cold water and put them on the stove to boil.

While those two were going I started chopping up my veggies. This time I used onion, garlic, carrot, celery, zucchini and yellow summer squash. Into a large saute pan they went with a little bit of oil. Once they were tender I added some veggie broth, frozen peas and some seasoning (my usual: salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder).  I brought it up to a boil and then turned it down to a simmer. I then mixed about a cup of veggie broth with 1/4 cup of flour and added it to the veggies on the stove and cooked it until it was thick.

By now my potatoes were done and I made the mashed potatoes.

To serve, I put a scoop of mashed potatoes and a scoop of lentils and rice in the bowl. Then I spooned the veggie gravy over the top and sprinkled with dried parsley.

Happy Eating!


"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise." - Alice Walker 

No comments:

Post a Comment