Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Vegan MoFo #7 Fall Comfort Food

                             Easy Dishes Made From Refrigerator and Pantry Staples.

On Monday night, while I was in the kitchen trying to decide what to make for dinner, my husband was in the living room watching football. While half listening to the game I started to pull out ingredients that I could make into a meal.

Earlier in the day it had been raining and with the sounds of football in the background it was really starting to feel like fall here in Las Vegas. So it's no surprise that the meal I ended up with looked pretty much like a Thanksgiving diner. As we were eating I told James the only things we were missing were mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.

For dinner we had a corn flake crusted baked tofu, cranberry stuffing, and a stove top green bean casserole. I plan on sharing the recipes for the tofu and green bean casserole later but I will share how I made the cranberry stuffing, which was my favorite thing on the plate!

I used a box of plain bread crumb stuffing. For the most part I followed the recipe on the box except I substituted vegan butter for butter and I used vegetable broth instead of chicken. I also added a little more butter and broth than directed to because I like a wetter stuffing. 

Start by melting butter in a sauce pan, add onion and celery. Cook until tender. This is were the box said to add the broth and bread crumbs, I added the broth and some seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder). Then I stirred in the bread crumbs and half a package of dried cranberries. I then dumped the stuffing into a casserole dish that I had sprayed with olive oil cooking spray and baked it in the oven according to the package directions. 

So Yummy! I probably could have just eaten the stuffing for dinner and been happy :)


"Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing." - Walt Kelly 

2 comments: